1404 c/o Crispin Best


Owain Glyndŵr


After declaring myself Prince of Wales, I got down to work. I thought of all that was imperfect in Wales. I thought for a good long time.
      I realised that there was no statue of me yet in Wales. This was imperfect.
      I called a press conference, at which I made certain famous pronouncements, and announced I had commissioned a statue of myself to be built. The statue was to have the head of a bear. However, the bear would be wearing a mask of my face. The people would perhaps think that I was a bear. Underneath my human body, perhaps I was a bear.
      The statue was to be astride a bicycle. The statue was to have one hand raised so as to provide a photo opportunity where the statue appeared to be offering a high-five, or waving hello. Or even losing to scissors. It would depend on the person posing with the statue, of course.

At the end of the press conference, I resigned my post. The reporters all nodded to themselves. My work was done.

You can go there now. The statue still stands. Thousands of people a year have their photo taken with that statue. And, on the pedestal, beneath my name, the legend still scrolls mechanically between my two most well-known proclamations:
      - We, The Welsh, Do Not Like Disasters!
      - We, The Welsh, Want More Oversized Cheques!
      - We, The Welsh, Do Not Like Disasters!
      - We, The Welsh, Want More Oversized Cheques!